Winter Challenge Rally
10 February 2018
EVENT: The weekend will consist of a single New England Regional, SCCA rally running from 4pm Saturday until 2am Sunday with 2 breaks. Although no car-breaking roads will be used, the majority of the roads chosen are rural, unpaved roads, which will undoubtedly be snow and ice covered. The rally will go no further east than Woodsville, N.H.; no further north than Calais, VT; no further west than Randolph, VT; and no further south than Sharon, VT.
This year the rally again will have straight-forward course instructions, with a few bits to keep your mind occupied early in the event (about the same as 2017); you do need to pay attention and drive ‘briskly’.
The route of the rally will be approximately 240 miles, with the maximum distance between gas stops of 90 miles. The break between sections will be approximately 3/4 hour; there will be approximately 1 control per every 10 miles of rallying.
Much of the rally is run at night on remote back roads. It is essential that you and your vehicle be prepared for backcountry winter driving. This means good winter tires or DOT approved studs, warning triangle and tow rope for the vehicle. This means warm clothes, blankets, shovel, flashlights, food, and whatever else you deem important.
The Winter Challenge Rally will be broken into 3 sections each with its own challenges and instruction format.
The first part of the First Section will be in written instruction format. Some TSD experience is helpful, but no traps requiring extensive rally knowledge will be used. I don’t expect people to go off course! (boringly slow) The second part of the First Section will be based on a highlited map.
The Second Section will be a combination of tulip diagrams (first half) and of a highlited map (second half); brisk in places.
The third section will be tulip drawings, with mileages to most instructions; brisk in places.
Overall the Winter Challenge will be a thorough test of competitors’ rally expertise, ability to use their heads and car control on snowy roads.
START/FINISH: The Winter Challenge Rally Weekend will headquarter at The Hollow Inn, 278 So. Main St, Barre, VT [tel: 802-479-9313]. There are some additional lodging options in the area. The hotel was sold out last year so book early.
DIRECTIONS: From I-89, take Exit 6 (Rte 63); follow 4 mi. to traffic light.
Left on Rte 14.
On right approximately 3/4 mile.
One SCCA Member $ 50.00
Non-Member $ 60.00
Late (after Jan 26) + $20.00
RALLY CLASSES: Class A: Allows full computational equipment and/or extra odos.
Class S: Stock Odometer in stock location (as NER)(no GPS).
No NER Novice
SCHEDULE: Registration: 1 pm – 3 pm
Question Time (optional) 2 pm
RI’s given out 3 pm
Driver’s Meeting: 3:30 pm (mandatory)
First Car Start: 4 pm +
First Car Finish: 2 am (approximately)
Awards/party(?) 3 am ish
1. The rally entry will be limited (30 cars).
2. Regular entries close [in hand with proper fee]: Friday, 26 January 2018
3. 4 pm start this year to help people from further away get to the start on time.
4. The rally this year will be straightforward – no ‘onto’, no ‘redundant instructions’, etc. The Rallymaster had his fill of these setting up A Bridge Too Far .)
5. The “Question Time” will explain Control, TZ and TA info only (not required).
6. Rally Generals will not be mailed (posted at http://www.winterchallengerally.com).
7. Rally will run regardless of weather.
8. Recommend for map reading: Large Magnifying Glass, Dividers.
9. Start order: Class A (a ‘draw’ will be held for actual start positions); Class S.
10. There will be an adjustment factor between 2-wd & 4-wd in Section 3.
11. Ongoing information will be on WWW.WINTERCHALLENGERALLY.COM.
12. Questions can be addressed via: email@example.com (JB).
13. This rally tries to emulate the road rallies of the 60’s (but cars are too good now). The winner will be truly the most versatile and best road rally team !
1. The Rally entry is limited (30). Start order is Class A – draw for position;
then Class S – order of entry receipt.
2. Winter equipment is required; snow tires, tow rope, warning triangle.
Mail To: Seth Achilles, SUITE 4
382 Hercules Dr
Colchester, VT 05446
Make Checks Payable To: NER, Inc.
Official Information: WWW. Winterchallengerally.com http://www.ner org; nescca.com]
RALLY ENTRY FORM : (mail)
Member # & Region: ___________________ Member # Region: _____________________
Phone: _____________________________ Phone: _______________________________
Driver Email: _______________________________________________
Navigator Email: ____________________________________________
RALLY CLASS: NER Class A:___________ NER Class S:_______________
Vehicle Info: Make:______________ State & Plate #:______________________
4 Wheel Drive: YES [___] NO [___] …. Color:______________
Please email: 2018 Minor Waiver Form ___________.